ASSOCIATION OF NORTH CAROLINA HEALTH AND SCIENCE LIBRARIES (ANCHASL)
ANCHASL News and Events
Scholarships are now available for the 2014 Fall Meeting! Application deadline: July 24, 2014. For more information, please visit the Scholarships page.
2014 ANCHASL Fall Meeting and Continuing Education Course
Friday, September 19, 2014 - 9:00 am to 3:15 pm
Topic: EBM/EBP Beyond the Basics - Systematic Reviews and Qualitative Studies
Instructor: Connie Schardt
MLA CE Hours: 4
Location: Searle Conference Center @ Duke, Seeley G. Mudd Building, 10 Searle Dr., Durham, NC
Registration Deadline: September 12, 2014 (Registration limited to 40 participants)
This course is taught in journal club format and is designed to give learners additional practice with critical appraisal skills through an understanding of validity issues related to reducing bias in clinical studies. Using an interactive journal club format, learners will review and discuss the criteria for determining internal validity of systematic reviews and qualitative research. After completing this course, learners will be better able to identify the criteria for a good study; to recognize how this impacts searching for the evidence; and to understand how this knowledge helps the library support evidence-based practice within their own institutions. Teaching methods will include discussion, case studies, group exercises, and practice in appraising articles.
- Understand the key validity criteria for systematic reviews
- Identify strong and weak search strategies
- Understand they key features and methodology for qualitative research
- Identify appropriate search strategies for qualitative research
- Identify ways to use this information to help support evidence based practice within hospitals and academic medical centers
- Introductions, student goals, course objectives (15 min)
- Validity criteria for systematic reviews [discussion and group case study exercise] (60 min)
- Peer review of search strategies (30 min)
- Break (15 min)
- Review of Qualitative research [discussion and group case study exercise] (60 min)
- Search Strategy exercise (30 min)
- Putting it into Practice and Wrap-up [discussion] (30 min)
Members: $55 Non-Members: $70
Student Members: $20 Student Non-Members: $25
Lunch and Business Meeting only: $15
2014 dues can be paid with meeting registration.
Membership: $15 Student Membership: $5 (calendar year)
Registration and refreshments will be held from 9:00 - 9:30 am. The CE will begin at 9:30 am. The workshop will be in journal club format, so devices are not needed for hands-on exercises. Wi-Fi will be available in the classroom so participants may bring their own fully-charged devices, such as laptops or tablets, if desired for hands-on work. Access to electrical outlets will be very limited.
Directions and Parking
The Searle Conference Center @ Duke is located on the ground level of the Seeley G. Mudd building, which is the same building in which the Medical Center Library & Archives is located. Visitors to the Searle Center may park in the Duke Hospital Parking Deck across from Duke Hospital North. Access to the Search Center is available via the walkway in the back hallway of Duke Hospital.
The ANCHASL Store Is Open!
Show your ANCHASL pride with these apparel and merchandise items
ANCHASL's Facebook Site - join our Group!
To see meeting photos, become a friend of ANCHASL on Facebook®.